Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Doll projects

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Jeanette M.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    July 18th, 2003
    Posts
    1,239
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    For those of us who are relatively new to this board, please can someone who's been around awhile explain the original idea of the doll projects you have mentioned from time to time the last 2-3 weeks? From what I've been able to deduce, there have been stories written, costumes designed, and rooms built. What was the the background for all of this? I think some of us newbies would like a little more in depth understanding so we can get involved in this too!

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Peachysweetdream's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 8th, 2002
    Posts
    389
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I think Robin pretty much summed it up perfectly. The dolls are either based on a personally created historical/future story or an old story or book. It's quite fun!

    Mine is based on the Chinese legendary ballad of Fa Mulan.
    Her story:
    http://www.geocities.com/peachysweetdream/Mulan.html
    The pics:
    http://www.geocities.com/peachysweetdream/Mulan2.html

    Hope you make one too!!!!!!

  3. #3
    Inactive Member QNPoohBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 29th, 2002
    Posts
    1,460
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    way cool Georgia! I loved the Mulan movie! Great story, awesome character (no pining away for a prince!) and beautiful music!

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Peachysweetdream's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 8th, 2002
    Posts
    389
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I love the movie, too!

    It's one of my favorite 'new' Disneys. I mean, nothing will ever beat "Peter Pan" or "Sleeping Beauty" or "Beauty and the BEast", etc., but newbies like Treasure Island and The Emperors New Groove (no offense) just don't live up to them!

  5. #5
    Inactive Member BETSYSLITTLESTAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 18th, 2002
    Posts
    79
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    My doll project is a little bit different than the others. My doll is Avelie, a girl from 2304...so she's an AGOT, an American Girl of Tomorrow!
    I'm busy writing her stories about how it is to live in the future, and thinking of outfits for her, that I'll have to beg my friend who sews to make for me because I can't sew to save my life lol.
    I am using an American girl Molly doll that I found at a garage sale to be my Avelie doll (I already had a Molly doll so I didn't need two [img]tongue.gif[/img] so I'm using her, if I can ever get up the nerve to cut her hair!
    Its good the doll at the garage sale was Molly because Molly looks the most like Avelie out of all the dolls, except Avvie's eyes are green/hazel and she hair doesn't have bangs and is a little lighter in color than Molly's, but over all its good I found a Molly because she's the most like Avelie in terms of appearance.)

    If you are going to do a doll project, that's great (only don't take my idea please) and let us know what time period and what culture yours will be from, and how you're doing!!
    I came in on this project late, too, everyone else had already started doing it by the time I found out.
    But its so fun, you gotta try it! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

    <font color="#020176" size="1">[ July 27, 2003 02:36 PM: Message edited by: BETSYSLITTLESTAR ]</font>

  6. #6
    Puella Romana
    Guest Puella Romana's Avatar

    Post

    Georgia, those pictures are great! I love the Fa Mulan doll idea and so does my mother who loves all things Asian.

    I was going to do an Ancient Roman girl but I gave up the idea because I don't have the time to do a lot of research for a story and the character I created wasn't working out. (I am kinda kicking myself for modifying Kirsten's Chirstmas gown to use since I wish it was still a Christmas dress now.)

    Anyhow, I'm thinking of picking back up with a boy historical doll project set sometime during the Napoleonic Era. I'm a history major in college right now and that's the time period I'm specializing in.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member QNPoohBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 29th, 2002
    Posts
    1,460
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    aww Meghan I hope someday you get to write about an Anicent Roman girl. I liked what you had so far and was curious to read your story. My dad is CONVINCED he's descendent from Ancient Romans but more than likely he's not!

  8. #8
    Inactive Member QNPoohBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 29th, 2002
    Posts
    1,460
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I think it stemmed from our fustration that American Girl seems no longer interested in promoting history. SO someone cam eup with the idea to make our OWN American Girl collection.
    Some of us are using AGTs and Gotz Little Sisters dolls and others to create an actual doll and writing stories to go along with them

    My project is Susanna, an American girl from New England in 1643. I have the doll, I've done the research now I have to write the book.

    If you search the archives you can probably fnd the original message about the doll projects.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Jeanette M.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    July 18th, 2003
    Posts
    1,239
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thank you all so much! You have great ideas and express them so creatively [img]smile.gif[/img] This sounds just like something I would love to do, as I am definitely a history lover and have been designing and sewing doll clothes forever. I will give it some thought and do some studying and see what I can come up with. I'll be sure to let you know what I decide!

  10. #10
    Inactive Member spiritik's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 21st, 2003
    Posts
    64
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Georgia, I really enjoyed seeing your pictures and information on Mulan. You have done a great job! Your site looks really good too!

    Betsyslittlestar and Meaghan, your ideas sound great too!

    Editing--
    I'm going to use a search to see if I can find the original post regarding the doll projects. I think I remember reading something about that when I first joined the board but was so busy trying to read all the posts that I don't think I really read it very well. The projects sound fascinating!

    <font color="#020176" size="1">[ July 28, 2003 11:29 AM: Message edited by: Virginia ]</font>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •